Friday, April 27, 2012

Gratefulness...

Today marks the 1 year Anniversary of the Greene County tornado outbreak. This is a day marked in history not only for my area, but several surrounding states and counties that were effected in monumental devastation.

I remember that night so well; Dean and I taking shifts sleeping, watching the news and alerts, Liam and Jax sleeping downstairs in our tornado shelter area, and counting down the minutes until the warnings expired.
Then I remember waking up and watching the coverage of the areas hit. I initially thought Greeneville was spared, only because I didn't see any devastation outside my door, but quickly learned the hardest hit area was just miles from our home, and the footage I was watching very easily could have been us!

While I didn't get involved in the charity, donations and clean-up as I would have liked to, I'm very proud of the town of Greeneville, and the efforts that went into fixing our community. The news worldwide, focused on the harder hit states, and barley mentioned our area at all. To lose seven lives in an area so small, was a huge loss to have, and to know just a handful of the workers who helped in the aide relief, spending countless hours helping rebuild the homes and lives of those effected, is an honor!

Here is an article published in today's paper. Please be thinking of those who were a part of this disaster!