Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I did it!!!

In honor of Breastfeeding Awareness Month (August), I would like to pat myself on the back for successfully breastfeeding both of my boys!!

I have been steadfast in my dedication to not only saving money spent on formulas over two long term breastfeeding journeys, but also in giving my children the best source of nutrition there is!

I nursed Jaxon for 13 months and Liam is in the process of weaning after 18 months!!

Through our journey, I not only educated myself with all the benefits associated with breastfeeding, but I also educated friends, family and strangers to help with their journeys. I nursed two preemies who most said I would not be able to. I also donated enough expressed breast milk from Liam's NICU days to help and nurture a donor preemie plagued by GI issues and rejecting all formulas for six months!!

While its been daunting at times, and hard on my body through countless growth spurts, teething and illnesses, I DID it!!

I am very much looking forward to reclaiming my body, and tossing the nursing bras once and for all, but I know there will be times I miss the bond that only I could continue to give my children after evicting them from my belly!!

I hope I have helped those who have asked, I thank those who have helped me, supported me, and encouraged me along the way. I pray that now that I am done, that I can finish up the classes I started to become a certified counselor. I would really like to help as many mothers as I can, and especially to dedicate my knowledge and experiences to the tiniest babies of the NICU, whom most are told "they're too tiny".
A special THANK YOU to my friends and family who have put up with my preaching, warming bottles to give my children, smiling through spit up of "you know what" and mostly my husband for your loving support for me and our children and never complaining on the duration, and the fact that our babies co-slept for almost a year each just to give me extra sleep!

Good luck to those who try, and for those who simply can not, please remember that formulas are NOT the devil. They are formulated after the "best" and as closely to it as possible. There are reasons to why some can't, personal decisions and health factors, but if you try, you have done your best already!!

Here is a link that has several good articles about the benefits and the how to's if any of you have questions!!

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/motherhood/breastfeeding/breastfeeding-awareness-month

Shylah